Your Resident Blogger

My photo
I'm a 32 year old mother of 2 fantastic little boys, ages 5 and 10. I'm a retail lackey who dreams of running away to San Francisco where I'll live on my trust fund and take photographs of the city all day.

Currently Reading

  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Movies You Should Check Out

  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • The Good Shepherd

Rocking My iPod This Week

  • Eminem
  • Hinder
  • The Fray

Categorically Speaking...

Saturday, September 17, 2005

What is This World Coming To?

Okay, so maybe I am just way too liberal to be living in our country or something, but what is up with the FCC and all these right-wing "parent" and "deceny" groups and their blatant (often successful) attempts at censorship? I mean COME ON. They aren't even consistent in what is censored. While in my car driving out ot pick up my paycheck today, the song "Drop it Like its Hot" was on. Some of the random censored words: "Crip" and "pistol". This song isn't played much here, either. The very next song on the radio, which is played all the freaking time with no censored bits, was "Making it Hard for Me". HELLLL-OOOO! This song is all about getting a freakin' hard-on. Tell me how that is less inciteful than the word pistol, again? Only in America. You know what I have to say about it? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't buy it, don't allow your own kids to listen to/buy it, don't have anything to do with it. But DON'T tell me what I can or can't listen to. I am perfectly capable at 25 to make my own choices about what I want to hear or see. Yes, I am a parent. Do I allow my 2 year-old to watch my R-ratd movies or listen to my rap cds? NO. When I feel he is old enough to handle them (and it won't be for a VERY long time), I will let him check them out to see if they are something he likes or not. Hey, what a novel concept - parenting your own kids. I just find it rather ironic that all these conservatives who are pushing the war in Iraq and talking about spreading democracy and free speech are the very ones who are undermining it in our own country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Jen! I couldn't agree more. I sooo believe that it's up to each parent to "police" what their kids hear and see. But don't tell me what *I* can or can not hear and see! Like you said, if you don't like it, don't listen to it (or watch it). But how dare you think you have the right to decide for me?!

Okay... stepping off my soapbox now... LOL